A Note from Dr. Andrew Campbell, MD

Good morning Ms. Mitzi,

This is very concerning.  Schools have no idea on how to prevent mold from growing or how to remediate once it is all over the school.  Usually, schools are poorly built and repairs are done superficially.  It is obvious from the photos that there is and has been for some time leaks with poor maintenance, resulting in mold growth and mycotoxins.  Furthermore, there is the problem of VOC’s (volatile organicA note from Dr Andrew Campbell, MD - 4-Word Bound, Inc compounds), which most are neurotoxic, meaning they affect the brain where learning/behavior takes place.  VOC’s are what give a “moldy” smell.

The first rule of toxicology is: get the person away from the toxin or the toxin away from the person, meaning don’t have any further exposure to the molds and all the mycotoxins they produce.  If students and adults are being exposed, there should be no treatment until they are no longer exposed, as it would be of no use and a waste of money.

The website “National Association of Moisture Management” (NAMM) http://na4mm.com/ can help in the remediation aspect of the school.

The United States National Library of Medicine (NLM), operated by the United States federal government, is the world’s largest medical library. Located in Bethesda, Maryland, the NLM is an institute within the National Institutes of Health.  The website is PubMed.gov, Here are five articles that are particularly relevant to the current situation. I have provided another list for physicians.

  1. Mixed mold mycotoxicosis: immunological changes in humans following exposure in water-damaged buildings.  Gray MR, Thrasher JD, Crago R, Madison RA, Arnold L, Campbell AW, Vojdani A.  Arch Environ Health. 2003 Jul;58(7):410-20.
  2. The neurological significance of abnormal natural killer cell activity in chronic toxigenic mold exposures. Anyanwu E, Campbell AW, Jones J, Ehiri JE, Akpan AI. ScientificWorldJournal. 2003 Nov 13;3:1128-37.
  3. Neurophysiological effects of chronic indoor environmental toxic mold exposure on children. Anyanwu EC, Campbell AW, Vojdani A. ScientificWorldJournal. 2003 Apr 28;3:281-90.
  4. Brainstem auditory evoked response in adolescents with acoustic mycotic neuroma due to environmental exposure to toxic molds. Anyanwu E, Campbell AW, High W. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2002 Jan-Mar;14(1):67-76.
  5. Neural autoantibodies and neurophysiologic abnormalities in patients exposed to molds in water-damaged buildings.  Campbell AW, Thrasher JD, Madison RA, Vojdani A, Gray MR, Johnson A.  Arch Environ Health. 2003 Aug;58(8):464-74.

If you would like, give me a call today and we can discuss this problem.

Be well,

Andrew W. Campbell, M.D.

 

About Dr Andrew Campbell, MD

Dr. Andrew Campbell MD has practiced medicine for nearly four decades, during which time he has chaired and served on numerous medical boards and advisory committees. Dr. Campbell is Board Certified in Family Medicine, Geriatrics, and Forensic Medicine. He has had over 80 peer-reviewed articles published in medical journals and other publications, and has received twelve awards for excellence in health care and patient treatment.

For over 30 years, Dr. Campbell has treated patients with rare and unusual illnesses and conditions, and is considered the “go-to” doctor for symptoms that cannot be cured or explained by other top doctors. Dr. Campbell is an expert on the effects of harmful substances and toxicity.